Tuesday 11 May 2010

1 year post-op

Well this time last year, I was sat in London having my pre-surgery meal, with a mixture of excitement at beginning the journey that would hopefully change my life, and slightly nervous at what the next day would entail.

What a difference a year makes!
I have gone from not being able to walk around a supermarket without a walking stick, and a hip that gave out at almost every step, constantly living on strong painkillers and working through a fog, to being 'normal' (although close friends and family might dispute that . I can do everything that any other 41yr old can do, work without strong meds, clean the house as much as I like, walk the dog etc but, unlike others my age, it is something I will never take for granted again. It has been a long, and often frustrating year, and many times I thought I would never reach this point and would never be pain free again, particularly following not recovering from the Arthroscopy the previous year. I am now 32lbs lighter, and much fitter than I have been for years.

My no 1 goal following the PAO was to be able to work pain free, without meds. I finally managed that about 11 months post op.

No 2 to be able to walk the dog pain free,something I haven't done for about 4 years. Also managed around 11 months.

I have now set myself some new goals for the next year, whether I will achieve all of them or just some depends on my operated hip and also the unoperated one, but either way, I intend to have fun trying, and be grateful for what I can do now, anything that follows is just a bonus.

I have just started a run/walk programme to get me back into running. ( Hubby doesn't know yet, have been doing it in secret as I will go crazy, things its stupid after all I have been through). I have ran/walked 1min each x5 for 3 times last week. The first couple of times hip felt very strange. almost as if there wasn't any cushioning inside the joint, but the third time I went out with the dog and my youngest on her horse.Thet trotted when I ran, and we all had a great time,then walked for the rest and was out for 80mins, and the hip felt great. Started week 2 today, ran 2min/walked 1 x6 plus 10mins walk warm up and cool down, hip wasn't an issue except the quad when running downhill,but my fitness was!!!! I take Ibuprofen before as advised by Mr W and iced afterwards and everything feels better now than before I started the running so it can't be doing any harm.

My following goals are;

1, Run for 30mins solid,
2, enter a 5k,
3, 10k,
4 half marathon,
5-have entered the ballot to run or walk or a combination of both,the London Marathon (all Annicks fault,lol). If I don't get a place a friend has agreed to walk the Moonwalk ( same distance),although I am not sure London is ready for me in my bra! :)

So thats where I am up to now. I hope it helps those of you who are still recovering, or to anyone who reads this and needs a PAO in the future. It is worth every moment, and eventually you WILL get your life back, and will be a stronger and more thankful person for it.

I have met some fantastic people that have helped me through this journey-too many to mention,all undergoing their own personal hip battles too. Each and everyone of you have been a tremendous support and I would love to meet some of you someday.
Thanks to all the hip chicks who have supported,listened and given their advice.

I hope this blog helps someone who needs to undergo a PAO at some point in the future. Its a tough and frustrating journey but sooo worth it when you get to the end!

3 comments:

  1. Wow Kate that's great news, so happy for you!! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Louisa, hope you get to this point soon too,
    Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi kate,
    These blogs got me thru the last year, yours been the 1st i found and I have set up a facebook page dedicated to putting up great hip blogs and would ask if you would share yours on this site by linking your to the site, it will create more traffic to your site and give one place where a newly diagnosed person can find all good hip blogs. It is on facebook and called 'FAI Hip impingment blogs' and covers PAO and THR as they often over lap.
    Your help to others will be much appreciated..
    Many thanks Louisa

    ReplyDelete