Tuesday 16 June 2009

1 month post-op check-up.

I am now 5 weeks post-op.

I went for my 1 month check up on Friday.

It was a long day, we caught the 8.00am train to get us into London just before 11am. I decided to manage without the wheelchair, which was probably a stupid idea, but I wanted to crutch in the hospital instead of him thinking I was being a wimp and needed the chair.
It took us about 2 hours to do the 20minute walk from the station to the hospital, but this was broken up by coffee, then lunch, and a rest every few minutes,lol.

The appointment went really well. I had x-rays taken first ,then saw the registrar. He compared the before and after x-rays, and confirmed that they had increased the CE angle from 6-23 degrees.
Then I saw the consultant. He examined my ROM and the incision and was pleased with the progress so far. I have been given a couple more exercises, and a third one to add in two more weeks, when the tendon that they cut will have healed.I have two more weeks on toe-touch weight bearing, and then two weeks on 50% WB before being able to go to one crutch.He gave me permission to try driving at 6 weeks post-op, but warned it might take a little longer until I am able to brake safely, so to just be the judge of that myself.I have also been given a physio referral for my local hospital that can be done from 8 weeks post-op, once I am fully weight bearing. I can return to work at around the 3 month mark, if I feel able to do so.
All in all I was pretty happy with that, and can't wait to move onto the next stage to be able to test out my new hip. Also I don't need to see him again until September, so that is great news!
We eventually got home about 9.30pm and I was absolutely shattered. Every part of me hurt, both hips, arms ,hands etc but had a great night sleep!

After an easy day on Saturday, we went out for a drive on Sunday, and stopped for lunch in a pretty little village with a farm shop that did the most gorgeous cream teas, yummy!! :)

I am starting to feel human again. The last 5 weeks have gone so quickly, and yet feel like ages.I finally feel as if there is light at the end of the tunnel , and am excited at the thought of being 'normal' again, and after years of pain will have the chance to live my life without it, and am looking forward to be able to do all the things that my friends take for granted. I know that once weight bearing starts there might be an increase of pain/soreness so am prepared for some rough times ahead. The pain , for me, was far worse pre-op than anything I have experienced since the surgery, so for those going into it, please bear that in mind.

1 comment:

  1. HI Kate, so glad you're coming out of the other side, I keep myself updated with your progress as well a source of hope!
    My op with Schilders is sceduled for the 10th July, just under 3 weeks away, I am almost physically sick with worry!
    ps have changed my blog spot address to:

    http://myfaihippain.blogspot.com/

    ..because I think hipster girls seems to means gay girls and they'll be mighty disappointed if they get my site!!
    God I'm nervous how on earth did you cope?!?

    ReplyDelete