Tuesday 23 June 2009

Physio

Well yesterday I went for my first physio appointment at my local hospital. My consultant recommended I start physio at 8 weeks when fully weight bearing, but I booked it for yesterday because I has a sneaky feeling what would happen.
The first thing she said to me was that there wasn't anyone in the department who knew what RPAO actually meant! ( Great start!) I explained and gave her the full name and she disappeared off to see if they had a protocol. Obviously they didn't, as expected, and I heard her asking a senior colleague what she should do. She returned and explained that no one in the department had ever treated a PAO patient and none of the Drs there did the procedure-surprise, thats why I had to travel the country to get it done! I told her my restrictions, but they were terrified to do anything without first speaking to my consultant.So she just measured my ROM and strength, told me to carry on with the exercises that the consultant had given me and come back in two week after she had the chance to speak to him. I expected all that anyway, so was glad that at least they will be equipped to start in two weeks when I will be almost full weight bearing.

On a side note, I am now 6 weeks post op and due to move onto 50% WB at the end of this week.
I have had a sudden increase in pain over the last few days around my coccyx and ischium area. I don't know if it is bone or muscle pain but seems to be increased when I do the side leg raises that the consultant gave me last week. I am going to ease off all the exercises for a couple of days and do ice and heat, then if its ok I intend to start increasing the WB and continue the exercises and hopefully it will settle down again when the joint gets stronger. If it doesn't improve by the end of the week I shall give Mr Witt a ring before starting any weight bearing.

Now the good news, although I took some painkillers at bedtime last night, I actually managed a full nights sleep for the first time without having to wake up to move my leg or position. :)
Everyone said this would take about 6 weeks and it was bang on!!
I can also lie on my operated side for as long as I want without pain. It hurts to roll over but is ok once I get there.So at 6 weeks the only thing that I can't do is weight bear and drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment