Monday 23 March 2009

Surgery is a great excuse to shop!

Over the last few weeks I have been shopping for stuff to take into hospital with me. This has had to be done at one hour max at a time, cane in one hand and balancing a bag or two in the other. I have noticed how rude people are when they see you using a walking stick. With some you get the pitying 'she looks too young for that' look, others the 'there doesn't seem much wrong with her' look,after which they usually slam a door in your face. But the one thing I have noticed is that the most courteous of all are couples who are approximately eighty years old who always stand and hold the door with a genuine, but not pitying, smile on their faces.

Anyway, I digress,back to the shopping. Being a bit of a shopaholic, I have relished the thought of having a valid excuse to buy an endless supply of 'necessary' items.

Here's what I have so far;

Toiletries;

Bath towel, hand towel and face flannel,
Soap,
Shampoo, conditioner,dry shampoo,
Hairspay, hairbands
Hairbrush
Toothbrush,toothpaste
Lipsalve,
Savlon,
Body lotion,
Moisturiser,
Body spray and perfume
Hand gel
Tissues.
Earplugs.

Dressing Gown,
Slippers,
Fleece jacket ( in case Im cold in bed but don't want a dressing gown)
Nightshirts(9 in total. Is that too many? Said I would be in 7-10 nights, need a clean one each day, but don't want hubby to have to bother washing as he will be staying in hotel)
Boxers ( largest size I could find.Don't like the thought of going commando)
Bras.
Socks.
Grabber.
Ipod.

Need to get; Pen, notebook, mags, book , sweets to suck, puzzle books.

Is there anything I have forgotten/don't need?

Also I have bought some extra large jogging bottoms and leggings.

Now all I need to get is a bigger suitcase .....

2 comments:

  1. I am so using your list for myself, i too am a self confessed shopaholic and i love it. I put on the puppy dog eyes when the hubby says 'do you really need this much?' YES!!! I got some lovely t-shirt style nighties and some wicked slippers so far.
    Where did you get your cane from?? I've been looking on ebay for some foldable foral metal canes but i'm not sure if these are any good?? They are adjustable. I dont want the old fashioned ones that don't adjust as i'm a small fry really, and to fold away would be such a big plus too.
    I hate those rude pitying looks and they sometimes kick the cane from under you while walking past, they seem to have no consideration unless they are as old as the hills and need help themselves!!
    Anyways hope your ok and keep us posted sweetie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie,

    I got the cane locally. Its a folding one, but doesn't give great support,its a bit too lightweight really. It will do for now, but I prefer a crutch if its a really bad day. Think I will get a more substanial one online for post-op.
    Take care,
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete