Wednesday 29 July 2009

11 weeks- small improvements!

I really enjoyed yesterdays physio session. I got to go on the exercise bike with some resisitance, the stepper, and a stair box to practise going up and down steps. I also did some more exercises including squats and hamstring ones with weights.I even managed to break into a sweat-was surprised how unfit I have become!! This has given me loads of things to practise at home. Some of the exercises I have been doing are getting a bit easier so I have added ankle weights to those, she changed my theraband to a more resistant one and I dug out my old gym ball and have done lots of new exercises on that too. Next week hopefully we can add the treadmill. She told me to go home and take it easy, but being me I went out and walked the dog for an hour instead. I am using a walking stick outside now instead of the crutch, which is just enough to stop me lurching,and definitely uses the muscles more than a crutch. I am hoping to ditch that in a day or two, so next week, by 12 weeks post op I am aiming to be off all aids then can just increase the time and distance.
I was sore after everything I did yesterday, and today have the old 'pain in the butt' back, but am resigned now that that's the way things will be every time I increase something.

New trick of the week-walking up and downstairs normally, leading with alternate legs instead of the same one first all the time. Great excitement at that,lol, ( small things , small minds I know:) ) I still need to hang on to the rail but I am sure now I can do it, that will soon improve. I spent 10mins today going up and down a step to practise, hopefully nobody was watching through the window!

Goals for this week-go out biking at some point if the rain stops long enough, start swimming regularly (only just got the go ahead for this, I know lots of you do it much earlier) and ditch the walking stick.

7 comments:

  1. Yeah! It's so exciting to hear you are doing great. It's nice when life starts to come back together. Keep up the great work!
    Brandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wuhoo, go Kate!!
    and hopefully I'll be behind you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks both of you!
    Hope you are both having a good hip day!
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, I'm just posting you the last para of my blog, ca't face writing anymore as sitting, but I am worried how this hip scope recovery is going and any advice v welcome.
    If I'm supposed to be able to go back to office work now, then why can't I sit for even an hour or so, without much deep pain that causes inflammation and more pain over successive hours/days.
    If the sitting pain was from impingement and the impingement was taken away then why can't I sit? I absolutely don't understand, problem supposedly removed and yet problem not solved!

    Louisa
    myfaihippain.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Louisa, replied to you on your blog, sorry it got a bit long, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kate,
    I'm glad to hear your physio i going well, keep up the great work! I'm Hua, the director of Wellsphere's HealthBlogger Network, a network of over 2,000 of the best health writers on the web (including doctors, nurses, healthy living professionals, and expert patients). I think your blog would be a great addition to the Network, and I'd like to invite you to learn more about it and apply to join at http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger. Once approved by our Chief Medical Officer, your posts will be republished on Wellsphere where they will be available to over 5 million monthly visitors who come to the site looking for health information and support. There’s no cost and no extra work for you! The HealthBlogger page (http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger) provides details about participation, but if you have any questions please feel free to email me at hua@wellsphere.com.

    Best,
    Hua

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to hear how you're going Kate! Sounds like you're powering on in leaps and bounds. Well, maybe with a bit of a limp and a walking stick, but you know what I mean :)

    My physio is going to teach me about steps and crutches when I see him next week, so I'm prepared well before surgery ...

    xo Denise

    ReplyDelete