Tuesday 14 July 2009

9 Weeks post-op- slowly improving

I can't believe nine weeks ago today I was still in recovery!
Its been a long and short nine weeks.I have come so far , and yet I still feel I have a huge mountain to climb, think I am only about half way up,lol.

I have achieved a lot this week. I am down to one crutch all the time in and around the house, just take two if I am going to be out a long time or doing a lot of walking. I have been surprised how difficult the last couple of weeks have been, and surprised that I am not further along than I am. I thought I was a tough, determined person, that could cope with pain (having lived with it for so long).It has been hard dropping the one crutch, and I keep trying to lose the other one, or go onto a walking stick, but my hip just isn't strong enough yet. The first few days were very painful and extremely sore by the evening, but that soon improved.I can walk a few steps without any aids, but with a huge lurch that resembles a penguin. Also another thing I wasn't expecting is how weak my knee is on the operated side.
I am up to 25min twice a day on the stationary bike, aiming for 2x30min tomorrow. This is fine on the hip, although I do get some burning , which I presume is inflammation, but sitting on it still really hurts the pain underneath(which I am convinced is where the Ischium was cut, and is not yet fully healed-but what do I know?). I walk the dog for about 40mins twice each day-off the leash-but use two crutches for this at the moment, and am working hard at the physio exercises. Straight leg raises are still really hard, and side leg raises, although much easier to do (2x25) still hurt the Ischium area.
I am sore by the end of the day, some of it is muscular, and where the tendon was cut (hip flexors) which is to be expected, and some feels like bone pain (in the butt)especially intense when lying down, but it is all controlled by pain meds so is not too bad.
My local physio is still trying to get in touch with UCLH, I however, have given up on that!
Am hoping to add swimming next week( not breast stroke) or at least going to the local pool and doing some hydro exercises that I can remember from previous surgeries, however the kids break up from school this weekend so that might not happen.
All in all, I have made a huge leap forward from this time last week,and am fairly happy with how things are going. I just wish it would progress even faster.

3 comments:

  1. Kate,

    You have been an inspiration for me! I know how hard this can be and it has been an answered prayer to be able to talk with others who have gone through this. I am actually getting a puppy this week and will be walking my new addition on crutches too. At least I know it can be done. I know everyone recovers different, but from where I am you seem leap years ahead! I enjoy reading about your journey because it gives me motivation in mine! I pray that your recovery gets better each day and soon we will be back and better than ever!

    Ashley
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ashley!

    I'm glad it has helped you.I have tried to be as honest as possible as there are good and bad times all the way through. Its only when you look back you realise how far you have come.
    I read about your puppy-am sooo jealous, lucky you. It will be a great motivation to get fit enough to walk it. Be sure to post some pics!
    Take care
    Heal well
    Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate,
    I was reading a cricket forum this morning...had such bad unexplained burst of pain last night/this morn..I say someone from Knaresb, Suz north York I think. Wanted to know how her story ended? and also any recommendations for rehab, any good physio you may know of Leeds, Harrogate area... just the rehab at Schilders seems somewhat random?!

    ReplyDelete