Tuesday 21 July 2009

Emotional Rollercoaster

Ten weeks post-op.

Recovery from a PAO is such a test of patience. Over this last week I have experienced every emotion possible. Joy from being able to do the little things that we would normally take for granted, and frustration at not being able to do more.

I am progressing when I look back to what I could do a fortnight or even a week ago but I am still not where I expected to be at this stage. I don't know if my expectations were too high, or if I am not healing as fast as I should be, but either way I know that I can only do what my body will allow and I have to accept that.

I am still in lots of pain at the back of the joint. It is a deep and sharp pain, I don't know if it is bone or muscle and it doesn't really matter at this point except it limits the amount of walking I can do.I am off crutches in the house but keep needing to rest after being on my feet more than a few minutes. I still use one when walking outside.

Physio exercises are going well, and I have been given more this week, to do twice a day. They are getting easier and the joint feels stronger. The limp is still pronounced, but not as bad as it was to start with.

I am focusing on the fact that the pain and instability that I had pre-op has completely gone, which is great news, and makes everything worthwhile as I was so limited before I had the surgery. I am glad I had the PAO because I do feel that once everything heals it will have been worth it- but I am not so sure I would be prepared to have my other hip done unless it becomes more symptomatic.

5 comments:

  1. Kate, quite a lot of other hipsters are finding this time difficult to, so you are not alone! I'm sure once you are all healed and have built up the muscle strength again you will feel that it has all been worth it. I finally do now and its taken me til 19 and a half weeks post-op, although I've got some weakness, I have lost the groin pain that I had on walking and sitting so the PAO then open debridement is worth it, it just takes time. Damn shame the bloomin left is now causing me all sorts of gip instead!
    hugs, hang in there your doing great,
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sam for all your support.
    You have been an inspiration with all you have gone through and you still have such a great attitude and done so well in your exams.
    Have a great trip!
    Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its hard for me to advise as I'm weeks behind you and only arthroscopy. But keep fighting you do seem to be getting there! Good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kate, saw a discussion between you and Sue from Yorkshire about Labrums I had a meeting today with schilders , he told me my labrum turned out not to be torn, but instead separated from acetablum. He therefore had to anchor it to acetabulum. He assured me that he has never known own case of it re ripping in that instance. Dunno if that helps.

    I'm curious about her case..it concerns me that can happen and she has no answers, that could be any of us and that's scary.
    He said re tears happen not necessarily where stitches are just labrum could be knackered (not quoting exactly here) and that problems with dysplasia can do that.... but that doesn't seem the case with Sue.

    Today I wish I had asked why the same things appear to fire up the pain, sitting etc and why if the impingement has gone? I never ask the right q's even with a list! SO I'm confused myself if thats normal or transient and why!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate,

    Just stumbled down stairs, am distraught, can I undo actual anchors? In pain now, though not severe, so cross with self. Any opinion much appreciated.

    Louisa

    ReplyDelete