Thursday 9 July 2009

Warning-moaning post!

I am now managing to full WB on one crutch (just). I haven't left the house yet, and am just doing little and often pottering around and resting inbetween. I went into town for half an hour yesterday to do some banking, used two crutches for that, and even that jars my pelvis badly.

Hip is stiff and sore(as expected) and as swollen as it was when I left hospital. Glutes area is achey and the front where the tendon was cut also get sore pretty quickly, both of these things I am sure are normal and will improve over the next few days. The posterior pain is still there and getting worse again as I put more weight on it. I can't do the physio exercises at all, but am using my dressing gown cord to assist and doing them that way. Am up to 15mins on bike which feels fine.

Have been reading over other posts when people dropped the crutches and saw it took about 7-10 days for things to improve, so hopefully I will be the same. It is really a test of patience, I thought I would be able to things much quicker.

Mr Witt told me I should be able to return to work at 10-12 weeks post-op, and by then would be able to walk and stand for hours without walking aids!! Either I will suddenly have a massive improvement or that was a tad optimistic-at the moment I can manage up to an hour on one crutch in the kitchen when I first get up, then need to rest as I am in pain and so tired, and that cycle continues throughout the day. Am still getting intense pain when trying to change position when lying down. Returning to work seems a lifetime away.
I feel as if I am being a real wimp,lol.

Everyone said that the first two weeks of a PAO recovery was the worst, but for me I sailed through the first five weeks before things started to go downhill. So far weeks 6-8 have been worse for me, more frustrating, and in a way more painful too as I am battling with not taking meds as I don't want to cover up the pain and do too much.

I have had no support at all from UCLH, and neither has my local physio. All I want to know is what is normal at this stage and what isn't.I am seriously considering contacting their PALS to see if they can help at all.

Thats my daily vent over with.

3 comments:

  1. Once you get walking on it, you will be surprised at how quickly it improves. I'm sure you're tired of hearing it, but everyone goes through this differently... I was just thinking today how I've gotten to almost 6 months, with only 2 breakdowns and one near (today!). One was due to Oxycontin, which apparently makes me hysterical... the other was when I was told my hip flexor won't heal for at least a year, and I won't be able to drive a stickshift for at least that long, if at all... I cried all the way home from PT! It's been up and down, I've hit another point of frustration, and nobody has any answers, yet again. You'll get through it, and hopefully be better for it! =]
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mary.
    It frustrating to read others that are doing so well at similar timescales. I did so well to start with that am surprised now to find I am struggling.
    I am sorry to hear about your hip flexor no wonder you broke down at being told it would be so long until you can drive-I would too! I am lucky I drove at 7 weeks, but as you say we all heal differently.
    Hang in there,
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bless you the POA is so hard. I'm doing not too badly. Wobbly emotionally and thats caught me by surprise!
    Aren't we all alone together praying for recoveries.. I'll shut up its the post op drugs!
    Keep been positive xx
    Louisa
    myfaihippain.blogspot.com

    ps your pain in the butt gone?

    ReplyDelete