Sunday 19 April 2009

Pre Surgery Assessment

I had my pre-op assessment on Thursday.It went ok, they did the usual tests, height, weight( too much of it, lol) MRSA and blood tests.I had a lot of questions I was hoping to get answered, but quickly realised that I knew more about the upcoming surgery than they did.

Then I saw a member of the physio team, she was more clued up and talked me through what would happen on the morning of the surgery. I will be given an epidural for post-op pain relief, followed by a GA. The surgery should last about 3 hours, followed by 2-3 hours in recovery, depending on how long it takes to get some response from me, ( OH said that could take a while!) Should be given breathing exercises that afternoon, and expected to stand for a minute or two the next morning.

Then I was given a list of furniture measurements, need the chairs, suite and toilets raised, and a frame around each toilet.Luckily our bed is high enough, as they can't make kingsize ones any higher.I should also get a shower seat, and will need a grabber. There aren't any real precautions I need to worry about, other than what pain prevents and straight leg lifts are forbidden ( can live with that).So know I sit and wait to be invaded by a local team from the social services to make my home suitable for someone about 90 years old!

The major concern was the fact that I am expecting to get the train home- she was not at all happy about that- said it was far too dangerous. I spoke to Mr Witts secretary after I got home and the outcome was they will arrange hospital transport for me if I am not fit to travel home.
In the meantime I was told to keep as active as possible to avoid blood clots post-op, and avoid journey's longer than 3 hours .
So all is well, and the countdown begins....

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh you're awaiting the arrival of the grey and lumpy!! Things they provide you with are so attractive, the loo seats are just beautiful, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, thanks!

    I bet thats why you had yours postponed-just so you could keep the aids for longer!!!!
    Kate x

    ReplyDelete