Tuesday 26 May 2009

Two Weeks Post op

I don't know where the last month has gone. It doesn't seem two minutes ago I was writing that there was two weeks until surgery, now suddenly I am two weeks post-op! YAY! I know the worst is behind me, and all the nerves and worry that I had a month ago were, more or less, unfounded. Yes, its a big surgery, but very doable. I will not be at all concerned if I do need to have the other hip done.

Two weeks post-op I feel great in myself. My pain hasn't been more than 'mild' for most of the time.It occaisionally spikes in the evening, when sitting on a hard chair which is uncomfortable, or when I try to reduce the meds( which I still keep attempting ). The hip is uncomfortable sometimes, and stiff when I first stand up, but that is to be expected. It grinds quite a bit, but I have read on other blogs that this is normal. I can crutch much better now, and can swing the leg through instead of sliding it, or dragging it with the TEDS stockings, which is what I had to do to start with. I am down to two paracetamols and one codeine every 6-7 hours. I am still fairly swollen around the butt area, and have quite a numb area on the outside of my thigh, but this is reducing already. The rest of my leg looks quite pathetic-I am amazed at how quickly it has lost all its muscle tone!

At two weeks I can;
Get in and out of bed/chairs by myself,
Wash, use the bathroom, shower without assistance ( although hubby won't let me shower alone yet, I know that I can)
Get dressed by myself,
Put socks and shoes on good leg, but still need help with the right one.
Pick stuff up from the floor,
Do light housework, such as dusting , putting washing away etc,
Make light meals
Lay on my side for a few minutes at a time.


At this point I can't sleep on my side, or sleep through the night yet.

My goal over the next week is to cut out the codeine during the day, and to sleep on my side, even if its just for short periods.

We went out for a meal on Sunday just at our local pub. I went in the wheelchair which was mentally hard, as I felt like a child in a pushchair, but it a nice evening so we enjoyed the walk. It was a fairly quick outing as I couldn't sit for too long, but it was nice to get out in the real world again.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the encouragement! Reading other blogs have helped out especially with the nerves because I know if others can do it, so can I! Its good to know others going through this because it has not been easy for me! Thanks again and good luck with your recovery!

    ReplyDelete